Selling The Gown


I’ve sold my wedding dress. Not even a full year later and it’s gone…

Soon after the wedding was over I was faced with the task of deciding what to do with my wedding gown. For sure, I knew I wanted to get it cleaned and preserved. After more thought I settled that I would try to sell my dress on eBay. If it sold, great; if not, then at least it’s cleaned and preserved.

I decided to sell my dress for a couple of main reasons.

First, I did not want to hold onto it with the illusion that one day my daughter would wear my dress on her wedding day. If I do have a daughter, God willing, I would not want to pressure her or guilt her to choosing my dress to wear on her big day. She deserves the right to go through the experience of shopping for her own gown, and feeling that excitement when she has found the one. Being at the bridal boutique and standing on the pedestal, seeing yourself wearing the gown you know you will wear on your wedding day is a feeling like no other. I certainly wouldn’t want to deprive her of that.

Secondly, since having my dress preserved all I could enjoy of the dress was this small front section of the dress. When you preserve your dress it gets sealed in a box. If you break the seal, you would have to pay to repeat the process. I enjoyed my dress more through pictures and through memories. My dress, I felt, was so beautiful and it brought me such happiness with how I felt on the day of my wedding. I wanted to give my dress another opportunity to do that for another person, and give it another day to shine. 

When I listed my dress I knew it wouldn’t be an easy sell. For starters I had done so many alterations to my dress, that is was no longer the original dress. The dress was altered to fit a person of my stature and I had to be very clear of the changes I had made to the dress on the listing for eBay. Any question that I would have if I wanted to buy the dress online, I tried to answer on the listing. I was specific to the factory measurements of the dress, to the measurements I was when I bought the dress, my weight when I bought my dress, the changes I made to the dress, what height I was, the heel height of my shoes for the wedding, then my final weight when I wore the dress on my wedding day because I did loose weight!

After having my dress listed for almost six months, I had a steady number of “watchers” and more than 750 views on my dress. Finally, I received a bid on my dress, after a short negotiation, I accepted her bid and it was official -- I had sold my dress.

The finality of the listing brought on a short panic attack with “what did I just do?!” thoughts. I just had to remind myself why I did it to begin with and then I was calm again.

After the confirmation came through for the dress, I was able to see the new owner’s real name as opposed to her username…so, I did what any normal person would do, I Googled her!

I found her (rather easily). I saw two pictures of her. One for her LinkedIn and she looked so pretty and sweet and the second for her Pinterest profile where she was standing next to her fiancée. She looked short compared to him and right away I knew she would have no problem with being too tall for the dress length.

We did go back and forth a few times in conversation before and after the purchase of the dress and I could tell that she was a sweet person. Being able to see a picture of her with her fiancée, happy, was a comforting feeling and I was happy to know my dress was going to her.

I packed the dress, included a nice note wishing her well, and shipped it off. 


A few days later, she sent me a message that she had received and tried on the dress and it was perfect. She loved the dress and felt it was gorgeous! She was happy the dress fit her so well, the only thing was she would have to get it hemmed a little since she is only 5ft tall. She appreciated the note I included with the dress and thanked me again.

I hope (I know it’s weird) down the line after her wedding, she will be kind enough to send me a picture of her wearing the dress. I didn’t ask but I hope she’ll consider it on her own after its all said and done.


No comments:

Post a Comment